Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Cake & Crochet - whole wheat chocolate banana cake recipe

Pin It

"Cakes & Crochet" - would have been a lovely name for my blog. I always bake cakes and I always crochet which results in an ever-expanding waistline. For a few days I had tried staying away from baking but now I am back to my old baking self. 


I bake banana and apple cakes frequently. I have even shared the recipes for some of them here, but this is different. I would definitely say this was the best banana cake that I had ever made. It was so light and fluffy for a fruit cake made using whole wheat flour. Okay, I did sneak in a little bit of all purpose flour because I was skeptical of using 100% whole wheat flour. May be next time I'll try the same cake with only whole wheat flour and let you know how it turns out. Now for the recipe ...

Whole wheat chocolate banana cake

Adapted from here

Ingredients 

Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Butter - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
Eggs - 3 small 
Ripe bananas -  3 medium, mashed
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Yoghurt - 1/2 cup
milk - 1/4 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp

Method

  • Sieve both flours, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. (I sieved the whole wheat flour first separately because the flour that I had at home was not finely ground)
  • Mash the bananas well. 
  • Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time followed by vanilla.
  • Now add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix gently.
  • Finally fold in yoghurt, milk and the mashed bananas. 
  • Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or more. To check if your cake is done insert a toothpick (I use a knife) into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean then your cake is done.
  • Remove the cake from the oven and leave it for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan.  


The crochet that you are seeing here is my current WIP. 

Have a great day! 
    

5 comments:

  1. The cake looks yummy and definitely something I would like to make. Your current crochet project is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looking cake and I just love your WIP! Love the pattern & colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake looks yummy. Want to try this. Your wip is also pleasing to the eyes. Waiting for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so yummy, thanks for sharing! I love banana cakes like this and haven't eaten some for much too long. Your crochet looks great! Pretty pattern and such a lovely color mix. Can't wait to see it finished! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...