Sunday, August 14, 2011

DIY: Rolled paper frame

Pin It

What I have posted here is a simple and cheapest form of craft and my favourite one too. I really loved making this and I am going to make lots more.


For making these cute frame you only need a bunch of old newspapers, glue and some paint. With these you can create wonders.


I have a huge collection of seashells. I have been having these with me since my school days. I love seashells and didn't have the heart to throw them off when I moved to Delhi after getting married. So it was there safely at my parents' place all these years. Last time when I went to visit my parents I brought these shells with me. Here too they were simply lying inside the cupboard because I didn't know what to do with them. I tried displaying them in bottles but was not satisfied. Then I hit upon this idea.


I rolled newspapers and used them to make this frame and glued my precious seashells and the result was a big WOW. 

Let me share with you how to do these frames. 

You will need:
Old newspapers
Cardboard of desired size.
Scissors.
Glue.
Two thin but strong sticks for rolling the papers with.
Paint and brush.

First choose a cardboard. I used the cover of a book. 

Then choose the background you want and glue it to the cardboard. I decided to go for a printed one. So I used the page of an old novel.
Take some newspapers, cut them into stripes with the measurement of the length and breadth of the cardboard.
Then you are going to roll these strips and glue the end. Longer the strips, the thicker and stronger the rolls.

Rolling the papers is not as easy as it may sound. It is a bit tricky. This is how you have to do it.
 You have to take a thin stick and place it at one edge of the paper strip as shown in the first image. Bend the edge of the paper over it. Now place one more stick on top of the bent edge as shown in the last image. Then you hold both the sticks together and start rolling tightly. When you have done pull out the sticks carefully. Now glue the edge and you have the roll ready.

Make four rolls in sizes corresponding to the length and breadth of your cardboard. Then glue them to the sides of the cardboard as shown below.
Paint the frame and decorate it with whatever you want. You can even paint the rolls first and then glue them to the cardboard.


This is another one I made with two paper rolls on each side.

Have a nice week ahead.

Sharing with Macro Monday

39 comments:

  1. Great idea ! Great result !
    Have a nice week.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great!! so simple, but beautiful! will definitely try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant and gorgeous! so nice to meet you and thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday! hope we'll see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever. Would made a great gift. I am always looking for unusual frames. Some crocheted hearts could be cute in a frame like this too. :-) Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! I am always in need of frames for the children's many works of art. It is such an earth-friendly project that is a great way to recycle unwanted newspapers. Really useful idea!

    I like what Astri wrote about the hearts in the frames, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting post! Interesting idea for a mural!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent...as I collect shells when I walk our shores, I love this idea!! Thanks, also, for the detailed tutorial!!

    BRONZE LONGHORN is my Monday Link...stop by if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful idea.....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats such a great idea..they turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The frame looks beautiful. I love the whole thing... especially the book page. This is a really great idea for framing things around the house. I would love it if you would stop by and share this at the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    Hope to see you soon,
    Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-4-craft-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pradeepa, so creative..loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever! I don't have seashells with me.. but, this has inspired me to collect them.. did you hang these on the wall? I'm am afraid that the whole thing might fall because of the weight on the shells..

    ReplyDelete
  14. its Beautiful! I so love that big brittle star you have in the collection

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool idea! :)I really like the background. Don't you just love pulling out tresures from years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very neat project! I love using book pages for crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun idea. My 10 year old loves making crafts and he has a big collection of things to display. He would love making this. He is starting to make more mature crafts and this is right up his alley.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the vitage looking paper as the background!

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice idea and you have a good collection of shells

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! this is a great idea and as a mixed media artist there are so many possibilities! just found you via dollar store crafts write up on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that sure doesn't look like paper when its finished! I love how it turns out. Thanks for linking up with Show and Share.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous recycle idea -- love your finished project! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a cute project! Thanks for linking up. I featured it here:
    http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/2011/08/check-this-out_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Followed a tweet by Artfire and so glad I did. Love this technique... So inspiring!
    @scrapcollectr

    ReplyDelete
  25. awesome!! love this work.......m ur new follower n just cant resisit but get inspired:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. awesome idea. Thanks for linking up!
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This whole piece is just beautiful! I love the print background, love the rolled frame, and love the shell accents. Well done! I am happy to be a new follower and would love for you to link your post up at my Savvy HomeMade Monday blog party (http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/blog-party-5/).

    ReplyDelete
  28. This wonderful post totally contributed to the blog party's success! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. How pretty, creative, & thrifty all in one! Thanks for sharing!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow this is one of the most amazing newspaper crafts I have seen and such a wonderful recycled project. Shall try your project and link back to you. Lovely tutorial too

    Cheers
    Sonia
    http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved its simplicity and nature touch! I bet a few of these gathered together could do a statement piece in a wall space!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have such a lovely blog with some wonderful projects. Will definitely be back for more :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...