Wednesday, August 12, 2015

crochet triangles wall hanging - free pattern

Pin It


Right now I'm going through one of my crochet manic phases. I have plenty of ideas, way too many for me to concentrate on one single item. I still have patterns that I need to complete, yet I want to start new ones. I have to write a free pattern on the textured ripple afghan that I finished long ago but before that I'm working on other free ones. Above all I'm forced to slow down because of a right shoulder and neck pain :(

This is an ethnic and folk-inspired wall hanging which was in my mental to-do list for a quite a long time. This was just a few hours work and I was supposed to complete and post it on Monday but as I said I was jumping from one WIP to another. 

To make this you will need sport weight yarns and size E/3.5 mm hook.  As always I have written the pattern in American terms. 

Abbreviations

ch - chain
sts - stitch/stitches
sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet (UK - double crochet)
dc - double crochet (UK - treble)
tr- treble crochet (UK - double treble)
2-dc cluster - double crochet 2 stitches together in same stitch
3-dc cluster - double crochet 3 stitches together in same stitch

You can purchase the PDF version of the pattern from here for $0.99.
Click here to add it to your Ravelry queue or favorite it.
Click here to like my facebook post.

Instruction

Triangles - make 3

Round 1: Using red make a magic ring (or) ch 6 and join to form a ring. Into the ring work [3dc-cluster, ch 3, 3dc-cluster, ch 5] 3 times. Break off yarn.
Round 2: Join green in any ch-5 space, **[3dc-cluster, ch 3] 3 times in ch-5 space, sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3** Repeat from ** to ** 2 more times. Join with a sl st to top of 1st cluster. Break off yarn.


Round 3: Join pink in the center cluster of the 3 cluster group, ch 7 (counts as tr + ch 3), 2dc-cluster in same space, **[ch 2, dc in next space] 4 times, ch 2, [2dc-cluster, ch 3, tr, ch 3, 2dc-cluster] in next cluster** Repeat from ** to ** one more time, [ch 2, dc in next space] 4 times, ch 2, 2dc-cluster in the same st where you made ch 7 at the beginning of round, ch 3, join with a sl st to the 4th ch. Break off yarn.


Round 4: Join blue in any tr, ch 5 (counts as dc + ch 2), 3dc-cluster in same st, **[ch 2, 3dc-cluster in next space] 7 times, ch 2, [3dc-cluster, ch 2, dc, ch 2, 3dc-cluster] in next tr** Repeat from ** to ** one more time, [ch 2, 3dc-cluster in next space] 7 times, ch 2, 3dc-cluster in the same st as ch 5 at the beginning of round, ch 2, join with a sl st to 3rd ch. Break off yarn.


Round 5: Join red in the same st, [sc, ch 3, sc] in same st, **[2 sc in next ch-2 space, sc in next cluster] 9 times, 2 sc in next space, [sc, ch 3, sc] in next dc** Repeat from ** to ** one more time, [2 sc in next ch-2 space, sc in next cluster] 9 times, 2 sc in next space, join with a sl st to 1st sc at the beginning of round. Break off yarn.


Joining the triangles

Join red in any ch-3 space, sc in same space, sc in each sc across, sc in last ch-3 space (33 sc), sc in ch-3 space of 2nd motif and work sc in all the sts and sc in last ch-3 space, similarly join the 3rd motif. In total you will be making 99 sc. Turn.

Band

Row 1: Ch 100, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across (99 sc). Turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc across (99 sc). Join blue in last st, ch 4, turn.


Row 3: Ch 1, skip next st, 2dc-cluster in the 3rd st, **[ch 1, skip next st, 2dc-cluster] in next st** Repeat from ** to ** across, ch 1, dc in last st. Join red, ch 1, turn.


Row 4: Sc in top of ch 3, **sc in next ch-1 space, sc in next cluster** Repeat from ** to ** across (99 sc). Turn.
Rows 5 and 6: Ch 1, sc in each sc across. Turn.
Row 7: Ch 6, skip next st, sc in next st, st in each st across until last 3 sts, ch 6, sc in last st. Break off yarn and weave in the loose ends.


Joining triangles to the band

Place the first row of the band and top of triangles together with the right side facing each other and crochet the edges together.

Finishing

Weave in all the loose ends. Embroider some designs on the band and decorate with beads and sequins as desired. Make tassels and attach them to the triangles. You can google the instructions for making tassels. There are plenty of them on the internet. 



I hope you'll enjoy making it. If I had overlooked any errors please let me know so that I can correct them.

If you want the pattern in PDF format you can download it from here.

Have a good day!


20 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun project. Very colorful and festive. Love your creative energy.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...very colorful and bright...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and colorful wall hanging!! :) The addition of beads and sequins is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ♡ it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for such an amazing pattern x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely, thank you so much for the pattern. I have forever had it in my mind to make one of these but I didn't quite know where to start. I hope your neck and shoulder feel better soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So colorful !!!
    Thanks for sharing the pattern !!!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous! I love the colours :) Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very colourful and full of life! Would make a great spring/summer bunting. Thank you for the free pattern! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would work perfect to hang above the door as a toran/ bandhanwar! Very nice pattern!
    the5cees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful wall hanging.. thanks for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How pretty. Thank you so much for the pattern. I think it is really lovely. Will definitely cheer up my bland walls for sure.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know just what you mean about several WIPs. I don't think I'll live long enough to make the patterns I have and/or to make every idea I have come to life. This is a beautiful pattern. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So gorgeous! I want to make some for my daughter's room and convert to a valance. So beautiful. Thank you for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore this so much! I've been looking for something similar in crochet so I wouldn't have to do the macrame! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tried it and it was fun making

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...