Monday, April 7, 2014

Crochet Titanic

Pin It

Designing a vehicle is nothing like designing a hat or a scarf. It needs research and lot of planning. My son often points out that I don't make anything for him other than the occasional hats during winter. Please note that he still hasn't reached the stage where he thinks his mommy is crazy and makes some weird stuff using colourful yarns and hooks. I agree I don't make anything that he asks me to make for him which includes the likes of Panzer, battleships, trucks, etc. He would offer to draw out the designs and parts for me and would explain how to assemble them but I was not willing to take the risk. It seemed too much of a task for me. 

Anyhow, one day I said okay, I would make a ship for him but not a warship, maybe something easier. He asked me to make Titanic. He had always been fascinated by the ship's story, so I reluctantly agreed. I did some research and finally arrived at a plan and set about executing it. After lot of frogging and cursing, the ship's body took shape. The deck, chimneys and masts were made. When stuffing the ship I realized that the ship's sides, base and deck needed to be stiff to hold their shape. So I cut out the shapes using cardboards. I lined the ship with the cardboard pieces and then did the stuffing. Then I cross-stitched the windows. My son drew the flag. 


I can't say that I enjoyed making the ship. It was a huge headache for me. I even gave up midway and hid the pieces out of my son't eyes but he nagged me to start working on it again. Finally the ship is now ready for its maiden voyage. Phew! I can now breathe a sigh of relief. 

Saturday was his 10th birthday. I made this chocolate and vanilla layer cake for him. Though I can confidently bake cakes I am not that good at frosting. I can never manage to get a neat finish with my frostings. Anyway this one was better than my previous attempts and the cake tasted divine. I made 3 layers. The top and bottom layers were vanilla and the middle one was chocolate. I used whipped cream icing in between the layers and buttercream outside the cake. I wish I had clicked the layers before everyone started attacking the cake.

We went to the park yersterday and I regret not taking the camera along. There were plenty of beautiful flowers. Just look at these bunches of pretty pink roses that I clicked using my iphone. Don't they look gorgeous! Next time I should remember to take my camera along.

Wishing you all a wonderful, full filled week!

17 comments:

  1. Cool, große Klasse!
    Liebe Grüße,*Manja*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Titanic toy you made your son is not just good, its brilliant.I could not have made it so well.Your cake for your son looked divine! Hope he had a memorable 10th birthday x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that it was not your favorite crochet project, but the ship has turned out beautiful!! A piece of art! And it is no mystery why your cake was gone before you could make more pictures: it looks yummy!
    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Titanic !!! Really !!!! Amazing you to do a crocheted boat !
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, you crocheted a boat!!! And not just any boat the Titanic! Amazing. Happy birthday to your 10 year old. You are a fantastic Mom, and tremendously creative and gifted to have made this ship for him.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son must be 18 now and about to follow his path as an adult. I LOVE your Titanic! My man is a ship builder by profession but was injured a year ago on the job in Thailand. I just found your ship on the day he finally gets to come home after 4 major surgeries. I would love to have whatever notes you can share to guide me to create such a ship for my man. I KNOW he would be thrilled if you could give me anything you can so that with GOD’s help I might make one for my man. My email is BADAMS4107@gmail.com. I PRAISE GOD you had the courage to create for your son. May I have similar courage to help my man live!

      Delete
  6. Super Ship! What a fabulous idea and I really am in love with the second photo from the top. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa!! That's the first one I have ever seen. Just amazing. Meticulous!!! All I can say :-)
    Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even understand how you did the Titanic. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That is the most impressive crochet I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, is the pattern for the titanic available to buy at all? My 8yr old son would adore this and im really struggling for ideas for his birthday. Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't write down the pattern, Melissa.

      Delete
  11. Do you have a pattern for this ship?!....My grandson wants one too! Help!!
    Please email me at sueslinde@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely love your Titanic and my son even more ..pretty please any chance you have the pattern for it?many thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't write a pattern for it. It was so long ago, I don't even remember how I did it.

      Delete
  13. This is so impressive and hard work !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...