Monday, November 21, 2016

Whole wheat carrot cake with coffee flavour

Pin It



First of all thank you so much for your lovely comments on my new scarf. I have already started using it and I love it.

I made this cake 3 days ago and the reason why I'm sharing it here is:

  • I want to save the recipe because 
  • the recipe is my own and I don't want to forget how I made it because 
  • I am certainly going to make it again and again because 
  • it tasted so good!

I had made carrot cake once but that was long ago and I don't remember which recipe I used but I do remember that though it was good it was oily, dense and a little too sweet. This time when I surfed the internet for a recipe I came across several which used pineapple. All these recipes were the same with little variation here and there, so I chose one of them but decided to skip the pineapple and use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour. These recipes used oil instead of butter and I knew with the amount of oil used I'll end up with an oily dense cake as before and I didn't want that. Also, my son did not approve the idea of adding carrots to a cake but I was adamant that it was going to be carrot cake or no cake. Finally he yielded thinking that some cake is better than no cake but he asked me not to add too much carrots in it. My husband looked on doubtfully as I added the ingredients one by one into the mixing bowl, whole wheat flour? carrots?? yogurt??? coffee????..... even I was getting a little skeptical. Anyway I went ahead as there was no other way out after mixing everything and it turned out to be a perfect carrot cake. It was surprisingly soft when eaten the same day.


Seen in the background are my desert in bloom baby blanket and carrot boy.

Here is the recipe

Ingredients

Whole wheat flour - 1 and 1/2 cups
Powdered sugar - 1 cup minus 1 tbsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 3/4 cup
Eggs - 3 large
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Yogurt/thick curd - 1/2 cup
Instant coffee granules - 1 tbsp dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Raisins - 1/4 cup
Chopped nuts - I used cashew nuts 1/4 cup and a handful of roasted almonds
Grated carrots - 1 and 1/4 cups loosely packed
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp

Method

Sieve flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder twice and keep aside.
Beat eggs well until frothy. Then add the sugar and beat well until thick and creamy.
Add oil, yogurt and vanilla and mix well.
Then add the coffee at room temperature.
Fold in the flour.
Finally add the grated carrots, raisins and nuts.
Pour into prepared tins and bake at 150 degree C for about 50 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.


Enjoy your cake!
I like to have mine with a cup of unsweetened coffee.
Have a nice day!
 

7 comments:

  1. It looks tasty! I will try to make it maybe, I like carrot cakes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great recipe I must give it a try it looks yummy. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah..thanks for the recipe..I am of late in a cake baking spree. Tried an Orange cake, which turned out yummy but like you wrote was soft only on the first day. I wonder if it because of not using butter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fab combination will make this thanks. I must also say the carrot toy is really good x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...