Thursday, October 16, 2014

Crochet Christmas Tree - free pattern

Pin It
   
Hi everybody, thanks for visiting and thanks for all the lovely comments that you leave here. I hope you are all having a great week. I guess most of you will be busy with your Halloween preparations and enjoying the beautiful colors of the season. I have been sketching a lot lately and crocheting less. Except for these Christmas trees, I haven't done anything much. 


If you are a regular reader of my blog you might remember the Christmas tree that I made few years ago here. It was a free pattern that I found on net but the link doesn't work anymore. I searched but couldn't find the pattern anywhere else on the internet. I don't even have that tree now to figure out how it was made. So this year I decided to create one myself. I didn't have much difficulty in coming up with the pattern. I used the technique that we use to create ruffles by working into one loop only. I think anyone with a little knowledge of basic crochet stitches would be able to do it. 

A small ball of yarn is enough to make a tree. I used size G/4.00 mm crochet hook and DK/light worsted weight yarns which will make a tree that is about 3.5 inches high. There are no fancy stitches. I have used only single crochet (sc) stitch (American) which is known as double crochet (dc) in British terminology. 

WATCH THE CHRISTMAS TREE TUTORIAL ON YOUTUBE HERE


You can purchase the PDF version of the pattern from here for $0.99.
Click here to add it to your Ravelry queue or favorite it.
Click here to like my facebook post.

Christmas Tree Pattern
Size: 
Approximately 3.5 inches high

Materials Needed:
DK/light worsted weight yarn
Size G/4.00 mm crochet hook
Stitch marker
Bead and sequins for decoration (optional)

Instruction
(Work in continuous rounds without joining at the end of each round. You may use a stitch marker to identify the beginning of a round)

Round 1: Start by making ch 2, 4 sc in 2nd ch from hook  (4 sc)
Round 2: Sc in each sc (4 sc)
Round 3: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc] 2 times (6 sc)


Look at the image below. The loop that is closer to you is the front loop and the loop that is farther away from you is the back loop. Starting from round 4 every other round which is the increasing round will be worked into back loops only.   


Round 4 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc] 2 times (8 sc)

In the above image you can see the free front loops.

Round 5: (You will work this round into both the loops as you normally do). Sc in each sc (8 sc)
Round 6 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] 2 times (10 sc)
Round 7 (both loops): Sc in each sc (10 sc)
Round 8 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc] 2 times (12 sc)
Round 9: Sc in each sc (12 sc)
Round 10 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc] 2 times (14 sc)
Round 11: Sc in each sc (14 sc)
Round 12 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc] 2 times (16 sc)
Round 13: Sc in each sc (16 sc)
Round 14 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 7 sc] 2 times (18 sc)
Round 15: Sc in each sc (18 sc)
Round 16 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 8 sc] 2 times (20 sc)
Round 17: Sc in each sc (20 sc)
Round 18 (only back loops): [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 9 sc] 2 times (22 sc)
Round 19: Sc in each sc (22 sc). Join with a slip stitch to next sc. Do not break the yarn but continue working the branches of the tree.

This is how your tree will look at this stage.

Ch 3, join this with a slip stitch to the front loop of 1st st in round 18.


In the front loop of each of the 22 stitches you will be making [sc, ch 6, sc]. When you have completed the round join with a slip stitch to the 1st stitch of the round. 


Again ch 3 and join with a slip stitch to the front loop of 1st stitch of the previous back loop round which is round 16.


Repeat what you did in round 18. Similarly when round 16 is complete go to round 14. 

In rounds 14 and 12 you will make the loops with 5 chains, i.e., [sc, ch 5, sc] in the front loops of each stitch.

In rounds 10 and 8, make loops with 4 chains.

In round 6 make 3 chain loops and in round 4 make loops with 2 chains. 


Now you have a cute little Christmas tree. Decorate it as you wish. 


They don't need any stuffing but you may do so if you wish. Cut out a small circle of felt to fit the base of the tree and after stuffing you can sew the circle to the base but this is optional, I didn't do it. 

I hope you enjoy making this Christmas tree. If you come across any errors (I don't think there will be any), please do let me know so that I can correct them.


Won't they make lovely Christmas gifts?

You can also check out my Holly leaf, berry and pinecone pattern here


90 comments:

  1. These Xmas trees are really beautiful and it seems to be quite easy to make them. I will definitely give it a try as soon as I can find time. Thanks a lot for the pattern. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look beautiful with the beads :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. Can't wait to make a whole forest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Pradeepa for sharing the pattern... They are gorgeous..

    Love,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so nice. I think, they will take the way to Germany. Thanks a lot for the pattern.
    lg Steffi from Stuttgart - the south of Germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola y muchas gracias por el patrón. es precioso¡¡¡¡
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh thank you so much !!! I love the idea and it seems so easy to make .... thanks ! Have a lovely week end !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! These christmas trees are so cute - thanks heaps for the pattern! I have soo many projects for this year but I will save it for next year.

    Take care
    Anne
    http//crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a brilliant pattern, you did a fantastic job with it. Thank you so much,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for a very cute pattern! I think I found a tiny, tiny error... ;0) Round 13 should be 16 sc not 14.
    /Agneta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Agneta. Corrected it.

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to start these trees! I am glad all free crochet posted this pattern

      Delete
  11. I love your happy little trees! Thanks so much for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful pattern, will be definitely having a go at it later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The christmas tree looks so adorable! thanks for sharing the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pradeepa!Your sweet Christmas trees are absolutely adorable!!! Thank so much for sharing great tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing, gonna give it a try :)
    Best regards
    Thuri

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this - i have already made one and instructions were really simple to follow. Will be making more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. die sind wirklich SCHÖN..Danke für die Anleitung :D
    LG vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
  18. These trees are so darling I'm going to try the pattern out today.
    Found the pattern that was on Michael's site for a period of time. Its on this site now.
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/d9157f31-7e31-46cf-9078-6eb542e51500/41c22c6ead9034d953f3966b2cff796d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo TwinsMommy!
      I´ve been looking for that pattern for a while, but the link doesn´t work...

      Delete
    2. Ok, now I found it. Sorry ;0)
      And the pattern from the lazy hooby hopper is so much fun to crochet!
      I really enjoyed it. Made 4 and more is on the way.

      Delete
  19. Hello Pradeepa! I have crocheted this tree and it is great! More to come, so thanks very much. I have nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, as I find your work very inspiring! Details on my blog. Feel free to accept or reject. Zana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are the sweetest little trees. I've thought of making some in the past but never did attempt it. Thanks for sharing. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG they are soo cute . the tress are wonderful!! Will make them as Christmas special :-) Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. how cute is this??i must give it a try...will let you know.Thanks for your kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tutorial, thanks for inspiratin

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous christmas trees !
    Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Pradeepa

    I'm launching a new eMag on the 1st of December, you can read more about it at,

    http://sarahlondon.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/new-emag-spread-the-word/

    I'd love to include your fabulous Christmas Tree pattern. Please let me know if you'd be happy to have your pattern included in this eMag.

    Best
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees are awesome. Think I'll place atop a wine bottle.

      Delete
  26. Thank you so much for this pattern, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for this lovely pattern! These christmas trees are really fun to make, I hope it's ok for you that I included a link to your pattern in my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing the pattern ! I love those little christmas tree, I already did 2 of them :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so adorable. I wish I knew how to crochet! I can knit, but maybe I need to branch out :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love these trees!! I've already made several and they are great! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super and cute designs. Thanks for sharing the pattern designs. email hosting in erode

    ReplyDelete
  32. Me encanta!!!muchas gracias por compartir!
    Me quedo siguiendo tu blog!
    besos!
    PegatinasEnLaMaleta

    ReplyDelete
  33. Can't wait to make these, made angels and bell ordiments last year. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi You have some great looking craft here. Love them. I'd would like to know if you have finished the blanket you were doing in ripple. The page I was on it was a WIP. Love the look of the fox at the top of the page. Is that a free pattern and where can I find it. I wasn't sure how to put things on this and don't know the terms nor have a google address. Hope to here from you on your site, from Crochetnutter Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't do a blanket. I made a cushion cover which you can find at http://thelazyhobbyhopper.blogspot.in/2011/08/vibrant-cushion-3.html.
      It was a tutorial for the stitch pattern. The pattern for the fox is not free and it can be found in my Etsy shop Whimsical Little Fox. You can find the link to the shop at the side bar.

      Delete
  35. Wonderful pattern, thank you so much! I actually made one exactly this size and used yarn with sequins in it. I am currently making another one now and I am increasing even more, so that the final size will be 25 cm. It is already looking amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a lovely pattern! I am making an 'ice and snow' felt play mat for my granddaughter for Christmas and these little trees - made slightly taller- will be perfect additions. I'm on the first one now. I'm by no means an expert at crochet but your tutorial is simple to follow. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Pradeepa, thank you so much for the lovely Christmas Tree pattern! So glad with it!
    I made them and posted them with a link to your post on my blog: http://corrieschrijftop.blogspot.nl/2015/11/gehaakte-kussens-en-kerstboompjes.html#comment-form
    Love from Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the pattern! Just made my first one. Super-easy and looks great- can't wait to decorate! I'm going to make a set of tree decs for my mum. It's a handmade Christmas this year, so thank you for your help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for this cute little tree ! You're right, it's a nice gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. oh so cool:) I'd love to learn this technique! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi there,

    Would you have this in a video format on You Tube by any slight chance? I am not good at reading patterns ;D

    ReplyDelete
  42. Replies
    1. On to the ruffles/branches, I put a Styrofoam cone inside.

      Delete
  43. Hi!
    I've just posted a your christmas pattern in Japanese on my blog.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I don't know how to crochet, but I'm going to try and make one of your trees. They are too cute to pass up. Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your pattern. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi ! I just discovered your blog, great job !

    I've read in the comments that someone has found the pattern that you were looking for, but if you have the same problem again, you can search in the "internet archive" :
    https://archive.org/web/

    And this is the link :
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120326174731/http://www.michaels.com/Crochet-Christmas-Tree/h00062,default,pd.html

    This website is very usefull when some precious web pages are deleted !

    ReplyDelete
  46. My name is Frances and I would like to know how to save your blog? I'm 62 years old and I have to go to a friend or where I got my cell phone to have someone show me how to save this stuff.
    I can give you my email address if you can help me.I know if I leave this site I'll lose it. Please get back in touch with me I love your items a lot. The Christmas treees are beautiful.
    Thank you
    Franceces Carter
    fec31455@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. These Christmas trees are so gorgeous!! Made them in sparkly green and white and are so lovely! Thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Super cute, will be making my own forest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are so pretty! I've always wanted one of those trees and was very happy to find a smaller version (new, not vintage) at


    bán cây thông noel
    bán cây thông noel giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete
  50. very nice post, i certainly love this website, keep on it
    garage LED lighting

    ReplyDelete
  51. Merry Christmas,
    Very nice and informative post. Please keep it up. If you want to read instagram christmas quotes you have to see the link
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  52. Nice post, These Xmas trees are really beautiful and it seems to be quite easy to make them. I will definitely give it a try as soon as I can find time.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  53. Nice this post. I hope you are all having a great week. I guess most of you will be busy with your Halloween preparations and enjoying the beautiful colors of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love this creativity , keeps growing good bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hey Lazzy Hobbyhopper :P You are amazing! Your crafts are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hello!
    Thanks for share fantastic design. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love these little Christmas trees made by you. I loved the creativity as these designs are very pretty and i would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hellio gomovies It is a great job, I love your posts and wish you all the very best. And I hope you continue doing this job well.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hermosos arbolitos navideños, muchas gracias por compartir!! 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  60. I totally screwed up the counts and this still turned out great.
    thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. !!!!Precioso¡¡¡¡ muchas gracias

    ReplyDelete
  62. Despite the fact that I completely botched the counts, this turned out fantastic.
    Thank you so much!!!!!managex

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you for the cute Christmas tree pattern. I love it. Your directions were very easy to follow. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  64. Thank you for the simple patterns. The video was also helpful. Will be coming back here for more crochet ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Thank you for sharing! Your posts are inspiration for me.

    Good luck, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  66. I tried other patterns which had similar results, but yours takes the prize for ease of reading and following. I love it. My tree was quick (just a few hours - - I"m a slow crocheter!) wish I could show a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  67. the pattern is not for the tree in the photo

    ReplyDelete
  68. 9 years after publication and this is still the cutest pattern for a crocheted Christmas tree. Thank you for sharing! I love how easy and quickly this worked up. I will be making more for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Is there a way to increase the size of the tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a taller tree work a few more rounds of increase after round 19 followed by rest of the steps. You can also use a heavier yarn and a larger hook

      Delete
  70. they are wonderfull! perfect for a gift

    ReplyDelete
  71. I can’t find the download to print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the link at the top right below the video link

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...